What is Speech Recognition?
Speech recognition is a capability which enables a program to process human speech into a written format. Medical Speech Recognition solution accurately translates the physician’s voice into a rich, detailed narrative that feeds directly and seamlessly into any EHR. PrognoCIS EHR incorporates powerful speech recognition feature and offers providers the freedom and flexibility to complete patient notes at their convenience and dramatically reduce the amount of time spent on documentation.
Use EHR Speech Recognition to Improve Clinical Documentation and Patient Experience
PrognoCIS EHR includes highly advanced speech recognition capabilities. Among other things, this feature offers a robust medical vocabulary that includes access to the latest medical dictionary terms and phrases as well as clinical formatting rules.
Physicians utilizing the speech recognition feature can speak at their own pace, which means they don’t have to wait for the text to appear on screen. This feature is capable of adapting to and understanding even heavy accents.
Additional benefits of the PrognoCIS speech recognition feature, include:
- Visual indicators for when audio is being recorded and at what audio level!
- Voice navigation and control so physicians can make corrections and control audio capture simply by using their voice
- State-of-the-art security – speech data is communicated over 256-bit encryption channels for end-to-end security
- Profile creation – this allows individual users to create their own profiles with custom vocabularies. Note templates are also shareable across mobile, web and desktop applications.
How the Speech Recognition Feature Works?
Simply engage the feature in PrognoCIS to begin recording notes audibly. In addition to converting spoken words into text, the PrognoCIS speech recognition feature also includes short key commands that allow fast easy movement between text boxes, pages and screens.
As the speech recognition feature is used it grows and adapts to the users – learning to recognize accents and new words and phrases.
One great thing about using voice recognition is that once a word or phrase is in the system the doctor doesn’t have to worry about typing it incorrectly ever again. Typos can often be a problem with typed out or dictated patient notes – speech recognition offers a solution to that common problem.
Medical Speech Recognition Integrated into PrognoCIS EHR
What is the Issue With Typing or Dictating Patient Notes?
In a word – time. Writing out or typing patient notes or dictating them takes time and adds to a physician’s already busy schedule.
In comparison, speech recognition creates the text right as the physician speaks – saving a great deal of time as well as money that is usually paid for transcription services.
While speech recognition is not new to the medical field, recent advances have taken it to a much higher level of precision and convenience. That’s why physicians who have not thought about using voice recognition recently may want to consider it again.
For instance, the speech recognition feature offered by PrognoCIS is able to recognize and adapt to even heavy accents and it automates common medical phrases to create even more accurate notes.
Physicians save time and money and are able to include the nuance of spoken word in a patient’s electronic health records.
What are the Benefits of Speech Recognition?
The benefits of using speech recognition for a doctor are plentiful. They start of course with the savings of time and money but they don’t stop there. Here is a more exhaustive list of the benefits physicians can expect to experience when they utilize the PrognoCIS speech recognition feature.
- Saves Time and Money – Physicians drastically cut back on time spent dictating and typing. Plus, with speech recognition they can create, document, edit and sign electronic documents all at the same time. Money saving benefits include reducing the need for transcriptions and dictation. In addition to all of that, PrognoCIS speech recognition also saves time by importing notes directly into the patient’s EHR.
- Increases Productivity – By utilizing speech recognition, doctors save time. In fact, studies show that the use of speech recognition can allow physicians to see as many as 1/3 more patients than they were before. That’s because voice recognition is 3 to 5 times faster than typing.
- Reduces Errors – Another big benefit of speech recognition – especially that provided by PrognoCIS – is that it reduces errors in electronic health records. Studies show that most errors arise from the transfer of a patient from one doctor to another. With speech recognition, the notes are much more detailed and comprehensive greatly reducing the chances for errors. Another way speech recognition reduces errors is by lowering the number of entries, or clicks, in an electronic health record.
- Offers Greater Convenience – With speech recognition, doctors can complete notes anytime, anywhere. It is also a great way to record thoughts and ideas while on the move. Thanks to speech recognition, doctors can spend less time typing and more time treating patients.