Don't invest in an ePrescribing Software application without consulting with us. Even though it may be offered free to you, implementing eRx application has invisible costs.
What is ePrescribing?
E-prescribing is a prescriber's ability to generate and electronically transmit an accurate, error-free and understandable prescription directly to a pharmacy from the point-of-care. It replaces paper and faxed prescription requests and is an important element in improving the quality of patient care.
Functions of ePrescription
Based on functionality embedded on our Certified EMR Software technology, ePrescribe enables physicians to improve patient care by helping to ensure the safety of every prescription written. ePrescribe can perform the following functions:
- Patient prior adverse reaction checks
- Duplicate therapy checks
- Dosage checks
- Drug to drug interaction checks
- Formulary compliance checks
- Generic equivalent availability
- Electronic transmission to pharmacy
- Stand-alone ePrescribing system
- In-house, software acquired and installed on your local computer
- Through the internet, using an Application Service Provider (ASP)
Benefits of ePresribing
By using a Certified Electronic Medical Record (EMR) or e-prescribing software certified to connect to the Surescripts network, medical practices can experience dramatic efficiency gains and enhanced patient safety. In addition, physicians will save their organization time in prescribing documentation, transmission, filing, billing, and numerous telephone conversations regarding lost, illegible, and non-formulary compliant prescriptions with the pharmacy.
- Improves patient safety with automatic drug interaction checking, dosage checks, adverse reaction checks, and duplicate therapy checks
- Provides access to patient medical and medication history where and when you need it most - even from home
- Reduces pharmacy phone calls
- Automates and simplifies the prescription renewal and authorization process
- Provides formulary status on medication
- Qualifies for Medicare Rebate / Incentive
- Is more convenient and compliant from patient perspective.
Medicare Incentives for ePrescription
Under the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act enacted in July 2008, Medicare will pay more to physicians who use an ePrescription system such as the ones that we recommend, and pays less to those who don't adopt ePrescribing software.
To participate in the ePrescribing incentive program, you must satisfactorily use a "qualified" ePrescribing system. There are two types of systems: a system for ePrescribing only (a "stand-alone" system), or an electronic health record (EHR) system with ePrescribe functionality.
In 2009 and 2010 providers who use a qualified Electronic Prescribing system can earn a Bonus Payment equal to 2% of their total allowed charges through Medicare part B. In addition, ePrescribing Bonus payments of 1.0% will be paid in 2011 and 2012, and 0.5% in 2013. The legislation also requires reporting of eRx quality measures described below.
e-Rx Reporting to Medicare
Medicare will look for a physician's activities of ePrescription based on reporting one of three (3) G-codes entered on Superbills for an office visit.
One (1) of these codes must be entered every time a provider sees a Medicare patient in their office - whether or not he prescribes a medication.
- All prescriptions were sent electronically (G8443)
- No prescriptions were written (G-code must still be entered) (G8445)
- Didn't write them electronically due to an exemption (i.e. pt. request, controlled substances, etc.) (G8446)
Penalties for not adopting ePrescription
Delaying or not adopting Electronic Prescribing has costly penalties in the form of reduced Medicare Reimbursement payments. Medicare payments to physicians not ePrescribing will be reduced by 1% in 2012, then 1.5% in 2013, and 2% in subsequent years. These are serious cuts to the already minimal reimbursement rates and in today's tough economy, delaying this transition, make no sense. The better choice, therefore, is to ePrescribe.
Stand-alone ePrescribe or Certified EMR Software?
So why not contact us today to help you understand the pros and cons of using both an stand alone ePrescribing software system and certified EMR software for meeting your eRx needs? You can also request a for a FREE DEMO of an Electronic Medical Record Software System for your specific specialty by simply completing our FREE Demonstration Form.
You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain! And that is our promise to you.